Saturday 29 March 2014

Chester

After a pretty decent nights sleep, we were served a delicious breakfast with homemade everything, including goose eggs. Delicious start to the day! I also found this website that tells us a bit more about where we're staying. We then headed down to Frodsham for an explore, stopping to admire the cutest little red telephone box that has been converted into a community noticeboard and tiny library. At Frodsham we walked up and down the main street, reading all the little heritage notices on beautiful cottages and buildings.

Frodsham cottage
There is even a building with an actual thatched roof. The town symbol is the bumblebee and there are carvings all around the town and also actual specimens flying around occasionally, and my goodness they are the Hindenberg of bees. Like the size of a small fist. The spire of the Trinity Methodist Church has been saved from demolition, and in the ruins of the church behind it, there have been apartments built. Would be a very cool place to live.

Entrance to the apartment block.
I walked right down to the Castle Park gardens and made friends with the volunteer staff lady in the Arts Centre, who had been to Melbourne and was really interested to hear about my trip. She told me a bit about the history of Castle Park, so hopefully I can pop back there before we have to leave. Then we all met up again and drove to Chester, where we walked through the Chester Cathedral gift shop, ate our lunch in Abbey Square, and happened upon an annual performance of Morris dancers. After that weirdness, we met up with Belinda, Andrew and Lucia! I haven't seen them since my 2012 trip and it was great to catch up. We had tea (gingerbread hot chocolate for me) and then walked the city walls of Chester. I did this back in 2007 with Belinda, Andrew, Lucia and Alfie, but I'd forgotten a lot, and it was really lovely to do it again. 

Chester City Walls
Lucia and I on the bridge in 2007.

Lucia and I on the bridge in 2014
Marnie and I had a quick squiz in Chester Cathedral and caught the end of Evensong, and then Mum drove us back to Frodsham and we've just finished dinner. I'm hoping to stay up a little later tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment